Last Updated on January 2, 2023 by BoardsRiding
Beginner or pro, nobody likes to do their tricks on a skateboard with dirt and dust stuck onto it. Here we will give you a detailed guide about how to clean skateboard griptape, including all the tips and tricks you can apply to clean your skateboard’s griptape.
One of the motivating feelings for a skateboarding lover is to step on a clean and dusted board. Clean griptape over the skateboard not only provides better traction but gives you that much needed clean and aesthetically pleasing vibes.
That is why skaters must know the tricks and methods required to keep the griptape clean and sticky enough. All the inspiration to perform a blunt trick doom when boarders see their boards being muddy with dirt stuck into the corners, making the griptape lose and slick. So, they don’t end up sanding down the grit of the griptape.
How to Clean Skateboard Griptape with Household Items?
Before diving straight into the cleaning method or thinking about all the required purchasing. Wouldn’t it be wise to find some cleaning accessories from our own house? Yes, you have read correctly;
You don’t have to go fancy cleaning your skateboard griptape. There are multiple household items already present in your house which you can utilize.
Let’s first collect the things likely to be found in the house. Starting with water, a hairdryer, a paper towel, a small bristled cleaning brush, grip gum (which you can easily purchase from any local hardware store).
In case of mild dust or fresh stains, all you have to do is rub the grip gum over the surface of the skateboard. Make sure to rub it all along the surface, which needs cleaning. Grip gum is an excellent stain cleaner for griptape, and it removes specks of dust in no time. You will get to experience excellent stability and footing.
In the case of elbow grease or crusty mud, the process gets a little harsh and time-consuming. You will need a paper towel, water and a small brush with firm bristles. Start by dipping the brush into the water, and then rub the dirty area.
Don’t consume much water as you might waterlog your skateboard, as maple wood is often used as material. Please don’t scrub harshly; scrub it gently so that you don’t end up scraping off the griptape. Wipe the surface by using a paper towel. Let it dry before you try a new trick.
In the case of a waxed ledge, the cleaning process becomes detailed as removal becomes challenging due to waxing being engrained over the surface. The trick to removing it without harming griptape is to heat the area using a hairdryer until the wax melts.
Gently wipe it away by using a paper towel. Remove the remains by rubbing grip gum, and your skateboard will again be ready to roll.
If you wonder how to clean skateboard grip tape, you can try other methods. Don’t worry; we will not leave you hanging as we have other methods. If you are not fond of rubber, the good news is this method doesn’t include rubber at all. So the question:
How to Clean Skateboard Griptape without Rubber?
The purpose of cleaning the skateboard griptape is that the griptape is clean without losing its grip on the surface beneath. It may consume your time and effort, but it’s worth it.
One of the tried and tested cleaning methods for skateboard griptape is belt sander cleaner. Be cautious while using it, as it may grind your knuckles if not handled carefully.
With sticky bubble gum, no method is as effective as belt sander cleaner. All you have to do is cut the piece off it and gently start rubbing it against the dirty surface. If required, you may go rough; make sure you rub straight until the dirt comes off.
Wipe the residue, and you are good to go. With sticky bubble gum, no method is as effective as belt sander cleaner. It would be best if you cleaned the griptape patiently.
Some Tips to Follow:
- In a guide on how to clean skateboard grip tape, it is recommended to do dry cleaning of griptape instead of wet cleaning. Cleaning griptape using water or any other liquid such as Windex may waterlog and affect the material.
- Be careful, especially when you are cleaning with the help of a steel brush. Keep the process as gentle as possible. Try to make sure you are not putting too much pressure over griptape, as this might ruin the griptape of the skateboard.
- Before starting the cleaning process, leave the skateboard out in the sun for a short time. This way, cleaning the dirt becomes easier.
- If you want your skateboard to roll for an extended period, you must make a habit of cleaning it occasionally. Don’t keep your skateboard’s griptape dirty for too long, as the cleaning process will become a lot harder.
- If the griptape of the skateboard starts to come off from the edges, cut it from the edges and sand it down.
- Avoid riding your skateboard in a muddy area, especially when it has rained freshly, as the maple wood will absorb water and expand. Try to keep the skateboard away from water as much as possible.
Indeed, some skaters don’t even bother to clean skateboard griptape; even it’s at its worst. But, that is not a good practice to follow as clean griptape is a sign of the skater’s love for skating.
Cleaning the griptape becomes fruitful when the griptape is not too worn out. Dirty and too much worn out griptape cannot be helped by aggressive cleaning.
That is why, to enhance the board feel and stability, skaters should practice cleaning griptape occasionally. We hope that our provided guidance on how to clean skateboard griptape will help you in this regard.