Last Updated on January 1, 2023 by BoardsRiding
Are you looking for a guide on How Many Calories Does Skateboarding Burn? Skateboarding as exercise is excellent for mental and physical health, making you feel good and keeping you active. It is a fun way to build up your muscles and gain some muscle strength. Besides this, many people start skateboarding to keep their bodies in shape and reduce weight.
Riding a skateboard requires many muscle movements, including your hands and feet movements to keep your balance. Such movements cause the burning of calories and result in weight loss.
The query here is that if people can do skateboarding to lose weight, How Much Calories Does Skateboarding Burn?
How Many Calories Does Skateboarding Burn For An Hour?
Certain elements decide the rate of calories burned through skateboarding.
Such as like many other fat burning exercises burning calories using a skateboard also depends on your aggression and motivation to lose weight.
Another factor that has an essential role in this process is the frequency of your skateboard. It can vary according to your weight and sometimes your age too.
Usually, driving a skateboard makes you lose 400 calories of your body within an hour, which will not be much helpful in your weight loss journey.
However, if you are doing it aggressively, you can lose around 800 calories per hour, which will effectively burn your body fats. It has been proved that skateboarding is good exercise.
Burning Of Calories According To The Skateboarder Body Type:
In the studies, Harvard Medical School found that the burn rate of calories also varies according to the skateboarder body type. Such as;
- A person weighing 120 pounds can burn 300 calories while riding a skateboard.
- On the other hand, a person weighing 155 pounds can burn 372 calories in the same way.
- Skateboarding also lets a person with 185 pounds weight lose around 444 calories.
While we are on the topic, it is also helpful to know about the muscles involved in skateboarding and playing their role in losing weight. Also read this how much does a skateboard weigh?
What Muscles Does Skateboarding Work?
During skateboarding, you are using many of your body muscles from various body parts, but the most used muscles are from your core and your upper and lower body.
- Core muscles are usually used for stabilization, as in skateboarding, the main thing is to stabilize your body and maintain your balance. Your core also includes the abs, and that’s how it helps your abs to get in shape. It is also great for your core strength which keeps you away from the boring gym routine.
- Quadriceps muscles are extended to the knee to the flex joints of the hips during skateboarding. And the tricks like Ollie, which requires the extension of knees and flexion of hips, give your quadriceps more strength and flexibility.
- Gluteus Maximus is considered the body’s strongest muscle found at your buttocks. It manages your hip and thigh movement to maintain your body balance while riding the skateboard.
- Hamstrings muscles help flex your knee and bring the calves to your thigh’s back. For the flexibility of your knees hamstrings, muscles do all the work.
Benefits of Skateboarding:
Skateboarding is not only beneficial for muscle growth or burning calories. It also has many other great benefits for human health, including the flexibility it provides to your body and makes your body posture align.
People who enjoy riding skateboarding and never get bored no matter how much longer they are riding have more physical endurance.
As mentioned above, it is also great for your mental health as it helps you to reduce your stress. Once you start riding, it takes your stressful thoughts away from your mind.
For physical health, it keeps your body away from the risks of many health problems such as diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure. It also reduces the risk of coronary diseases by keeping your cholesterol level in its normal range. Click here to check out some best skateboards for heavy riders.
Is Skateboarding A Good Exercise?
Skateboarding as exercise maybe not be as effective as other many physical exercises, but still, it is a fun exercise that is also great in many perspectives.
Does longboarding work your abs?
Your core muscles are one of the essential muscles utilized in skateboarding and include your abs, so skateboarding works on your abs.
Skateboarding has many positive effects on human health and helps lose weight. However, as the answer to your question, how many calories does skateboarding burn per hour depends on the person’s eligibility and capabilities.